Friday 20 August 2010

One of the secrets as to why other people don’t achieve their goals





One of the secrets as to why other people don’t achieve their goals

I have recently read some great insight from Michael Neill about why we often don’t achieve our goals. Michael suggest that one of the reasons we don’t achieve our goals is as a result of the second half of our goal statement that is unspoken and therefore denied

To use one of Michael’s examples your goal may be

“I want to be a millionaire”

The unspecified second half of the phrase may fall into one of three categories
• Conditions
• Consequences
• Conjecture


• Conditions – if the second half of your goal is conditional it will limit what is possible

“I want to be a millionaire” (so long as I don’t have to work 8-10 hours a day)
“I want to be a millionaire” (providing I don’t have to do anything too scary)
“I want to be a millionaire” (by doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it)

• Consequences - if the second half of your goal statement is consequences, it will reveal what you really want

“I want to be a millionaire”
(so I can make a real difference to the planet)
“I want to be a millionaire” (and then I’ll be happy)
“I want to be a millionaire” (so I’ll never have to worry about money again)

• Conjecture –if the second half of your goal is conjecture it will make assumptions about, if, how and when it will occur)

“I want to be a millionaire” (but it is never going to happen)
“I want to be a millionaire” (and that means that I’m going to have to work 18 hours a day at something I don’t really enjoy)
“I want to be a millionaire” (but I don’t want to miss my kids growing up)

I invite you to take a few moments to write a list of your top 5 goals and for each of them consider what are all the second halves of the phrase that until now you have not expressed? You will probably find that you have several second halves for each goal.

Next experiment with some new endings such as,

“I want to be a millionaire” (and I will achieve it by doing something I love)
“I want to be a millionaire” (and then I can make a real difference)
“I want to be a millionaire” (and it is going to be an amazing adventure and I will met many fabulously inspiring people along the way)

Keep experimenting until you find the endings that inspire you.

1 comment:

  1. Great insights. I have always said this to myself I want to be a millionaire (period) I actually didn't think of adding more to it but after reading your post I think it would sound differently if I add more to it. Laws of Attraction. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete