Thursday 12 August 2010

Are you a firefighter?







The Urgency Index (Covey, 1994)

Circle the number along the matrix that most closely represents your normal behaviours or attitudes – 0 = never 5= always


I seem to do my best work when under pressure

1 2 3 4 5

I often blame the rush and pressure of external things for my failure to spend time planning and preparing

1 2 3 4 5


I am often frustrated by the slowness of people and things around me. I hate waiting

1 2 3 4 5

I feel guilty when I take time off work

1 2 3 4 5

I always seem to be rushing between places and events

1 2 3 4 5

I frequently find myself pushing people away so that I can finish a project

1 2 3 4 5

I feel anxious when I’m out of touch with the office for more than a few minutes

1 2 3 4 5

I’m often preoccupied with one thing when I am doing something else

1 2 3 4 5

I’m at my best when handling a crisis situation

1 2 3 4 5

The adrenaline rush from a new crisis seems more satisfying to me than the steady accomplishment of long-term results

1 2 3 4 5


I often give up quality time with important people in my life to handle a crisis at work


1 2 3 4 5

I assume people will naturally understand if I have to disappoint them or let things go in order to handle a crisis

1 2 3 4 5

I rely on solving some crisis to give my day a sense of meaning and purpose

1 2 3 4 5

I often eat lunch or other meals while I work

1 2 3 4 5

I keep thinking that someday I’ll be able to do what I really want to do

1 2 3 4

A huge stack in my out tray at the end of the day makes me feel like I have been really productive

1 2 3 4 5

Total out of /80


What's your score?


If it is greater than 50 you are probably a firefighter


If it is greater than 60 you primary role is probably suffering because you are spending most your time fire fighting dealing with urgent tasks that may or may not be important. If you carry onlike this your performance will suffer along with your career prospects, earning potential, relationships and health if they have not done so already.



Call me now to find out how to be more effective in what you are doing, and how to delegate. 01296 770462





No comments:

Post a Comment