Wednesday 12 June 2013

What a depressing way to start the day


What a depressing way to start the day

 

This morning I was at a networking meeting with about 20 business owners, I asked them two questions which revealed to me what I consider to be a shockingly poor level of care and communication within the profession.

Each week I am approached by dentists to help them because their books are gappy, their finances are tight, patients are putting off treatment plans, they would like more patients and to be able to do more interesting and rewarding work.

Investing in training how to communicate properly with the your patients about the treatment you are doing and why it is really valuable, would be a great place to start. Would love to know what you think.

 

The questions I asked this morning once I had all the attendees standing

1.       Sit down if you have not been to the dentist is the last 6 months – 1 person sat down

2.      Sit down if your dentist didn’t or you don’t know if they did an oral cancer screening, everyone else sat down!

 

In oxford earlier in the year I did a similar experiment with 70 business owners, the results were marginally better.

1.      Sit down if you have not been to the dentist is the last 6 months – 3 people sat down

2.      Sit down if your dentist didn’t or you don’t know if they did an oral cancer screening, 75%  sat down.

3.      Sit down if your dentist didn’t or you don’t know if they did a gum health screening- everyone else sat down!

Is it any wonder dentists are having problems filling their books, keeping patients and generating a revenue when they don’t tell their patients what they are doing, why they are doing it and how it can benefit them.

What we/ you do is really valuable and can save lives, and we don’t if they don’t know why they should.

If you think your patients would have sat down too or you are not sure call me and I can ensure that you are communicating the real value of what you do.
 
Call me on 07989 757 884 or email Jane@iodb.co.uk
otherwise let me know your thoughts using the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment