Friday 2 July 2010

What taste do you leave your patients with?

Some while ago I went shopping with an image consultant and we went to House of Fraser in Reading. I had a great time as she brought me a steady supply of clothes that I looked not just great in I looked fantastic, she was able to select the correct colour, style and texture. In a short period of time I had a large pile to take to the till. At the pay point was an offer if I took out one of their cards I would receive a discount on my shopping, as I was about to spend a significant sum I asked the assistant about it. (Note that she did not make me aware of the offer)
Anyway there was a fault at the till and I was asked to carry all my wares to another till. There was a problem with the second one too and I moved my purchases for another time to the children’s department. The sale took place with the assistant reading questions from the till screen, not making eye contact with me; she had obviously not joined someone on to a card before. Eventually my clothes were packed in plastic bags and I left, FUMING at the poor customer experience. (It had taken three till points and 8 members of staff to conduct the tranaction)


After about an hour I had calmed down and my image consultant managed to persuade me to go back into house of Fraser, this time to the Hobbs concession. What a joy, assistants who smiled were helpful, were bring items not yet available on the shop –floor for me to try. When it came to paying they worked out how I could get maximum savings and my clothes were wrapped in tissue paper and placed in paper bags with ribbon handles. I felt really special.


Now as I look in my wardrobe I have a choice of clothes which one do you think I choose to wear?

If I wear the House of Fraser clothes how do you think I feel as compared to the Hobbs?

That is correct I invariably choose the Hobbs clothes as those feelings of being special come flooding back and I enjoy reliving that experience.

As I look at the House of Fraser clothes I am reminded of a very bad experience that I do not want to re-live and don’t wear those clothes as a result.

So what are your patients left with once you have finished their treatment?

When they look at their new smile in the mirror does it bring back feeling of being special, well cared for and valuable?

Or however technically and aesthetically brilliant their new smile is does it still have a bitter taste?

If you would like to improve the customer experience in your practice choose from one of my three customer service programmes

Loving loyal patients™
• The Patient centred practice™
• Pathways to pleasant patients™

No comments:

Post a Comment