Wednesday 20 October 2010

How to manage the voices in your head


It has often been said that the digest problems in dental practice are caused by what is going in the six inches between the principal’s ears.

Whether you are conscious of it or not you set the tone of the practice and determine the culture, behaviours, attitudes and ultimately the success or failure of your practice.

I can remember very clearly when one of my coaches told me “Whatever is happening in your practice you are responsible.” It was a tough message for me to listen to and digest.

What I have come to realise for myself and recognise in my clients is that the way we are, the things we do, what we believe about ourselves and others and much more is determined by the little voice(s) that are continually jabbering in our head.

“I don’t have voices in my head” I hear you say, precisely it was that voice that told you that which I a referring to.

For most of us we are blissfully unaware that there is a voice continually chatting away, it is so prevalent that we have grown used to it and no longer are consciously aware of it, and therein lies the danger.

What I have discovered for myself and with clients is that for most of us the voice(s) are really critical, telling us things like,

“You are not good enough.”

“You don’t deserve that”

“You will never be successful”

“You look fat and ugly in that outfit”

Does any of this sound familiar?

The other time you may become aware of the voice(s) in your head is when you are having a conversation with someone else, when the voice starts to judge what the other person, preventing you form really listening to what the have to say.

For example as you attempt to listen you may be aware of it saying

“I don’t believe them they are lying”

“They are really full of themselves today”

“When are they going to tell me something of interest?”

Over my next couple of blog posts I am going to share some ideas with you that will enable you to dis-empower your little voices.

And for now I would like you just to pay attention and notice

  • · When does the critical voice in your head start to talk?
  • · What does it say to you?
  • · What happens as a result of what the voice is saying?

If as a result of this post you have recognised how debilitating your critical voice is, and you would like to dis-empower it now, please call me on 07989 757884 or e mail me jane@healthyandwealthy.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment