Thursday 9 September 2010

Business coaching from a cycle ride - Part 1


As many of you know I have just completed a cycle ride from Oxford to Putney bridge, leaving Oxford mid morning on Sunday and reaching Putney bridge at 10:00am on Tuesday.

As I was progressing on my journey I became aware how like running a successful business my bike ride was.

Over the next few blogs I invite you to find out how my cycle trip can help you improve your business.

This trip started by my friend, Clare, asking me “Where are we going to cycle this September, it seems to have become a tradition?” Last year we cycled the Pembrokeshire coast and the year before that Galway.

Clare and I started considering and answering some basic questions

· What was essential in our trip?

It had to be done before the end of the second week of September as Clare had to go back to college and could not take leave after that.

I had to be back to run my tele-seminar on Tuesday 7th at 19:00.

I had to be able to attend a friend’s wedding Saturday 4th.

We had to be able to visit places of interest along the way.

Cost less than £200

· What was important?

Time was limited so to maximise the cycling, reaching start and end destinations had to be less than 1 hour by car.

Ideally had to be close to water

Had to include a variety of landscapes

Quality of the accommodation

The number of miles we would need to cycle each day

Proximity of delightful places to eat and drink

· What was the value of the trip?

Being outside and being active

· What was the purpose?

To have fun

Enjoy being outside

Share the company of great friends

By being clear at the start, it was so much easier to achieve the cycle ride that we wanted to do.

We cycled Oxford to Putney, I was back for my tele-seminar, Clare was able to take her leave. The trip cost £90 each including really comfortable, and clean accommodation and meals that were all on route. We visited Eton, Windsor great park, Hampton Court, ate several meals overlooking the Thames. The journey was broken in to acceptable portions so the journey was enjoyable 50, miles, 30 miles and 20 miles.

Whatever you are just about to start I invite you to consider the following questions.

  • · What is essential?
  • · What is important?
  • · What is the value
  • · What is the purpose?

You can ask these questions and gain insight whatever you are embarking on to ensure it is successful, this could include

  • · A treatment plan
  • · Recruiting a new member of staff
  • · A marketing campaign
  • · A holiday
  • · A new relationship
  • · Working with a new dental business coach

Whatever context you use these question be sure to let me know the value in using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment