Thursday 12 July 2012

"Any experience can be transformed into something of value."
Vash Young


What was your biggest challenge in practice yesterday?

What did this challenge yesterday teach you that can actually be used to improve your practice?

I often share with my clients the concept that the challenge are a problem in practice is actually a fire. Sometimes the fires in practices are just small and smouldering and others a raging infernos. When I first meet with dental principals and their team members are usually discover that they are spending much of their time dealing with problems and crises and putting out fires every day.

What I encourage my clients to do is to use a two-step process in dealing with these fires.
• Put the fire out
• prevented from ever igniting again.


So in this two-step proce step one; you must solve the immediate problem, that is put the fire out.

Putting the fire out however is not enough because it could reignite another time in the future the next step is the most important one and unfortunately it's the one that generally takes longer and most people don't scheduled the time to do.

Step two devise a system that prevents this fire from ever reigniting again.
In my practice I have a mantra which I shared with my team "I don't mind you make mistakes. What I do mind is you making the same mistake twice.”


So what can you learn from yesterday?

What do you need to do to make sure the circumstances of yesterday never happen again?

Share your experiences and comments using the button below because I really am interested making your good practices great.

No comments:

Post a Comment