Monday 25 July 2022

Closing the communication links

 

Communication is like a chain, when it is successful it is strong, when there are weak links it breaks and we have all experienced the frustration and pain that results.




 

Just because you have said something it does not mean that it has been heard or understood. To make communication clear and effective both parties are responsible for ensuring that the message has been heard and understood.

I like to think of this as closing the links on the chain.

I had a f2f meeting booked today for 9:00 am, the other party realised after the scheduling that this would cause a clash in their diary and wanted me to reschedule to 8:30 am. They phoned and left a message, sent a text. I have just changed phone provider and both messages did not reach me in the swap. I turned up for the meeting as planned at 9:00 am. The other party had not closed the link, sent a message assuming that I received it. If the message had been followed up by a telephone call, ensuring that we spoke, both they and I would know the new time.

 

With modern technology we so often broadcast messages, assuming they have been received and understood. I have a friend whose child plays with their phone, Facebook and WhatsApp messages often look like they have been read when she has not seen them, this has led to confusion and misunderstanding.


Would  an acknowledgment, even if it was an emoji be useful?





 

We have all experienced the e mail that gets lost in the ether, sent to an address that we don’t look at frequently, other that are lost in spam folders. Just because it was sent, doesn’t mean it was received, read, or understood





What can you do to close the loopes in your communication, to avoid misunderstanding?




A problem can only be present in the absence of a truthful conversation.



Let me know your thoughts using the comments function.



No comments:

Post a Comment